Diesel Locomotives, 1940-1969

The first "modern" or second-generation diesel locomotives purchased by the Soo Line were 22 GP30s from EMD in 1963. To save money, these units rode on trucks from retired ALCO FA-1s. GP30 706 is seen leading a train with GP35 721 at Auburndale, Wisconsin in early 1968. Some of these units would survive to become part of the modern Wisconsin Central's roster in 1987.