Diesel Locomotives, 1940-1969
After the December 30, 1960 merger of the old Soo Line, the
old Wisconsin Central, and the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic, the "new"
Soo Line inherited the locomotives of all predecessor roads. While Soo and
WC engines all wore the same paint scheme, the DSS&A units carried a
distinctly different scheme of red, yellow, and green. In the 1960s, Soo
Line, to save money, simply relettered many of the DSS&A units "SOO
LINE", retaining their bright colors. Soo Line AS616 390, a Baldwin
product, is seen here at Marquette, MI in 1967, working the rails it no
doubt worked frequently as a DSS&A unit.