Diesel Locomotives, 1940-1969

A later version of the classic bulldog-nose EMD F unit was the F7, which Soo Line and its' Wisconsin Central subisdiary acquired from GM's Electro-Motive Division in the early 1950s. The 2229A was one of those units purchased by the WC. All Soo units assigned numbers above 2000 were WC products until the Soo-WC-DSS&A merger in late 1960. The 2229A is seen here preparing to leave the WC's Schiller Park, IL yard in 1959. At the time, Schiller Park was the Soo's only major yard in the Chicago area, and the southernmost terminus of the Wisconsin Central.